Week 6- Love in all Forms

In Greek studies we learn about 4 different types of love. Eros from Greek philosophy means sensual or passionate love. Agape is a word coming from the New Testament the father love for humans that God has as well at the reverse love of humans reciprocated love back to God. Next is Storge which is defined as a natural or instinctual affection between parents and offspring and vice versa. This type of love is also one that is a correcting kind of love, a motivating love and a love that desires the best of the other person with full support and love regardless of actions. This is also a type of love that is emulating of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. From a social scientific standpoint, we can also assume that this is the love that is part of an authoritative parenting style that emulates high standards as well has high levels of love. It is working together to get through hard trials as well grow in actions. The fourth type of love is Philia that is translated to the “highest form of love.” It is a love that is often found within friendships and is based on a connection that is far more valuable than the sexuality, eros love. As we understand these different types of love, we can learn how to emulate them and to also find ways to grow them with certain people in our own life.  

Growing up I remember countless nights of my dad coming home from a long day at work to eat dinner with the family and then sit on the couch reading books to me while I was cuddled up under his arm. As I got a little older, I remember desperately wanting my dad to come and tuck me in at night because it meant that I would get a back massage and sung to in French. Through the many years of him signing to me I was able to learn the song from memory in French regardless of English being the only language spoken in the home. This allowed me to make a great connection with my dad, one that has carried on throughout the years. As we know it this connection is derived from storge. 

My mom and dad were both very diligent in taking care of my siblings and me. They worked together and by the time I came around even my siblings helped take care of me as well. The basis of my parents’ relationship was helping and supporting one another. It was never that one person had all the responsibilities, and it often took each of them stepping out of their societal roles to help lift one another. Neither of them only stuck to nurturing or providing yet, they found a way to intertwine the two to produce a great relationship that reared up wonderful children. 

In class we talked about the difficulties that arise as children are born that are often correlated to a decline in marital satisfaction including, lack of sleep, not sharing responsibilities, not having both parents in the home to help (ie paternity and maternity leave), people feeling like they lost their partner as child begins to take up much of their time they used to spend together, ect. Some of the thing that we talked about as way to allow for a raise in marital success after kids is to share the experiences of pregnancy with your spouse both good and bad, be emotionally vulnerable and discuss fears, concerns, and joys. Being able to allow for sacred and spiritual experiences to be able to happen between the couple and even including the child. 

As parents work together, they allow for experiences to happen together that may not be as testifying had they been done alone. I know the sacredness of families I something that is beyond compared to all other things of this world. The only way to truly make this possible to is communicate and invite God into all aspects of the family rearing and growing. I know that those who take time to build connection with their spouse and children will receive great blessings in days to come. Learn what is most important and prioritize it and very rarely will life feel unfulfilled. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8- Stress Doesn't Have to Define Us

Week 1- Things May Not Be as They Really Seem

Week 11- Active Parenting